Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ramlin tire rubbing on fender

Redfish

Default Ramlin tire rubbing on fender

I bought a 2011 caimen last week. I noticed that the grip tape on the fenders was bubbled from heat but thought that maybe it was from a black trailer in the Florida sun. Now I realize its because the tires rub the fenders. This is a serious problem. Has anyone else seen this on their trailer? Is there an easy fix or is this just a screw up during manufacture? I'll call ramlin Monday, but wondered if anyone else had seen this.

just went and looked at it again. It's definitely a design problem or axle failure. The torsion arm is sitting up against the carpet fender boards. I can't imagine that it left the factory like this but from the extreme bubbling on the grip tape, it's been like this for a long time.
    Last edited by Marshfly; Mar-30-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Tarpon

Default Re: Ramlin tire rubbing on fender

My left tire has a "pro-modified custom" traction groove from a fender rub during the suspension travel. As you are aware the fender is welded in place, only fix is to grind the fender or bend it out some how. The groove has not gotten any deeper so I'm gonna let it go for now.

Redfish

So these trailers are designed with essentially no suspension.
    That's ridiculous.

And my fenders are bolted on, but the bolts are on the extreme bottom. Im afraid that this is going to be a rigged up fix, whatever they suggest.
    Last edited by Marshfly; Mar-30-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Call Ramlin - they will re-tourque your torsion bar, so it does not get close to the fender when under load. Is it on the left side?

Redfish

Both sides are collapsed equally. I need to jack the thing up today and see what the torsion feels like with no load. If I have to ship the axle back to them, it's going to suck.

Redfish

I had the EXACT problem with my Caimen trailer about 2 years ago. They sent me a replacement axle. Unfortunately the replacement failed.

About 8 months ago the replacement started rubbing on the fenders again. I called them and talked to Alanzo and was told to weight my boat and trailer that my boat may be too heavy for the trailer. I went to a truck scale and my rig weighted in at 1,500 lbs. He then informed me that the boat was too heavy for the trailer but they would replace the axle with a heavier version. It would take a couple of months to get it in and I should call back then. In the mean time, I drilled new holes and raised my fenders to wait it out.

After a couple of months and several attempts to reach Alanzo, I was informed that no replacement was ever ordered and Alonzo was not authorized to make that decision. I had a long talk with another guy (maybe the owner, but I don't have my notes with me). He basically said that a while back they had different fenders and the axles would relax a bit. Maybe I had incorrect fenders and the axles relaxed. Essentially, drilling new holes and raising the fenders was the solution according to him. Also he stated that if the outside edges of the tires were not showing any wear then it was not an axle problem but a fender placement problem.

So, do I believe all of that? No not really. I think the axles are defective or under rated for the boat. I just haven't done anything else to date. Please let me know what happens or feel free to give me a call. If this problem is reoccurring certainly East Cape doesn't want boats leaving on defective trailers.

Redfish

Just spoke with Ramlin. Apparently, the v axle under that trailer is only rated for 1500 pounds. My boat, with a console, Yamaha F70, fuel, etc, probably weighs close to 1000 pounds. Add in the 800 pounds that the trailer weighs and its overloaded. So now, I have to buy another axle rated at 2000 pounds at an estimated cost of $300-600. I just spoke to the previous owner and apparently, the heat bubbles happened on his initial drive home from East Cape.

That doesn't seem right so I'll find out as well as I'm going to make a call to Ram-Lin as well...
    They had bad axels as some point so I'd like you to e-mail me the year of the trailer and I'll research to see if this falls under that year. Make sense?
    We take care of our own! :O)
    Kevin
    "It's not crowded where I'm fishing!"
    Real Anglers Building Reel Skiffs!

UPDATE:
    Called and spoke to the owner and he agrees something isn't right. So, at his request, please call Ram-Lin back and ask to speak to David. He stands behind his product like we do! I'm sure the person you spoke with didn't know model/make and we use them for a reason. So, I hope this helps?
    Kevin

Redfish

Thanks for the help Kevin. I spoke with Alonzo (sound familiar Haltabb?) when I called. I'll give David a call today.

Redfish

Thanks, Kevin

Yes you do stand behind your products and I have the experience to confirm that there is no question about that. I saw this as a Ramlin issue rather than an East Cape issue. Yet I appreciate you talking to David.

I will give David a call next week and see if he has any other thoughts about my situation. Marshfly, please keep me informed about your resolution.

Redfish

Spoke with the owner of Ramlin this morning and he's going to really help me out with the issue. We are going to replace the axle at a really good price and bump it up a little in capacity due to my boat being an HP with the big tank and F70 motor and driving it on bad LA roads. Thanks for the help Kevin.

Redfish

So, a few months and probably a couple thousand miles of towing later, the new axle is working great. $350~ish for the replacement.

Redfish

David never returned my call. Just been too busy to keep calling after not getting much support in the past. Also I drilled new fender holes and raised the fenders. Although I think the trailer is bottoming its not hitting the fenders.

I am quite sure if I engaged Kevin and his high support team they would more than get it righti. I just haven't made that call or kept the preassure on Ramlin. Just thought I would update.

Well Im sorry for them not calling you back but I will make a call tomorrow and let him know and if theres anything any of you guys need and we dont make it, please reach out to us first cause sometimes we have that extra leverage you need. Cool?
    Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Haltabb View Post
    David never returned my call. Just been too busy to keep calling after not getting much support in the past. Also I drilled new fender holes and raised the fenders. Although I think the trailer is bottoming its not hitting the fenders.

I am quite sure if I engaged Kevin and his high support team they would more than get it righti. I just haven't made that call or kept the preassure on Ramlin. Just thought I would update.