Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ramlin tire rubbing on fender

Redfish

Default Re: Ramlin tire rubbing on fender

Haltabb. I just realized that you're in Nola. I'm just over in Houma and still have the old junk axle sitting around. If you want to drive down and compare my old and new axles with your axle have at it. Shoot me an email at brianatrushing-mediadotcom and we can set something up.

Redfish

Kevin without question, I know I can always call on you and your team. I am a big believer in the culture of an organization and customer support is the essence and culture at East Cape. So I appreciate your response even though I hadn't even made the call for assistance. You provide support even when you are not asked to do so!

I am just living with the issue for the moment. I really do need to deal with it and will. I may try and call Ramlin again.

Marshfly, thanks for your offer and glad all worked out for you. Rather than compare,I need to get it right so I will pursue that course of action.

i'm far from perfect and everyday we learn how to handle things as a business BUT i do rely heavily on our vendors to do the right thing so if you need something PLEASE let me know as i can speed things up even though we dont make it. I'm always here to help and thank you btw!
    "It's not crowded where I'm fishing!"
    Real Anglers Building Reel Skiffs!

Same problem here. My 09 Ramlin fenders close to the tires just had bearings done and the trailer guy said what's up with that? Rig only has 150 hours on it.

What symptoms should i look for to see if mine is doing this? I have not noticed any such issues and figured if mine was doing it, i would know but after reading keeganite,s post, i realize it could be happening and i don't know it.

by the way, i have not used my caimen in a long time until recently, and ive nearly forgotten how much i love this little boat. I,m not sure why a lot more of them arent built.
    Last edited by Rdfish1; Jun-29-2014 at 07:39 PM.
    [email protected], 2009 Caimen w/ 50hp 2s Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by Rdfish1 View Post
    What symptoms should i look for to see if mine is doing this? I have not noticed any such issues and figured if mine was doing it, i would know but after reading keeganite,s post, i realize it could be happening and i don't know it.

by the way, i have not used my caimen in a long time until recently, and ive nearly forgotten how much i love this little boat. I,m not sure why a lot more of them arent built.
    Check the space betwn fender roof and tire. I think they rig the fenders too low from the factory.
    I raised mine up and have 2-3 inches of clearance now. Pull your fenders off and look for the tell tale rubber residue on the top of your fender. Mine had only a little residue. Probably rubbed while going over bumps. Never felt anything though

Redfish

Quote Originally Posted by Rdfish1 View Post

My torsion arms were collapsed so that the top of the knob that the stub axle is pressed into was actually touching the bottom of rear board of the fender. This caused the suspension to essentially have no action. Pretty much, if you stand on the fender plate and the trailer suspension doesn't compress, your boat is too heavy for the axle. After speaking with Ramlin, the issue is that, in the beginning, when the boats were all side console, portable tank, low horsepower jobs, a 1500# axle was specified. Now that you have boats like mine, with a heavy 70 hp, center console, 20 gallon tank, etc., they really need the 2000# axle that I bought from Ramlin. The boats are just too heavy for the axle.

Redfish

I had been putting this issue off for a couple of years after simply raising my fenders, but now my replacement axle has totally collapsed. Both sides are hitting the fender boards and the tires are rubbing on the underside of the fenders. One side has destroyed another tire. I guess I am going to have to find a permanent solution. Should I just junk this Ramlin Trailer and replace it altogether? Please let me know what others did for a solution? Very frustrating, but now I have to deal with it. Of course Kevin If you see this post any help would be appreciated. Ramlin was not very responsive in the past. Yes, your old Caimen is still boating big Louisiana reds. I am just a weekend warrior but we got 35 last trip.

I would look at getting a new axle like marshfly did instead of having to buy a new trailer. When I had my caimen I eventually had to get a new axle as well. Once I got the new heavier duty axle I never had another problem.