Thread: VHP / 115 E-tec HO owners, I need some numbers.

Redfish

Default VHP / 115 E-tec HO owners, I need some numbers.

I've talked to a couple people with the VHP / 115 E-tec and I feel like compared to them I'm getting really poor fuel economy. I'm going to get the boat by a shop before too long, but wanted some exact numbers if anyone has or can get them for me.

I'm running the 20 Raker, I'm working on getting a 4 blade to test out. Motor is on 2nd hole, no JP.

My usual load is half tank of gas, 2 guys and the TM up front, that's how the boat was for the numbers below. I can get the boat to around 50 MPH but no more than 5500 RPM, so I don't think there is anything seriously malfunctioning with it.

These numbers are with a touch of tab to level and the motor trimmed to it's sweet spot. That's my main issue here, is that's ideal conditions. Where I'm at it's always so rough I have to use more tab and it destroys the MPG.

At 3500 RPM I'm at 28-30 MPH depending on load and getting 5 MPG at best, it's usually a little worse.

At 4500 RPM I'm at 38-40 MPH (I think) and getting 4 MPG at best, it's usually worse.

From what I've heard I'm at least running 1-2 MPG lower than the same boat / motor / prop. I'm just getting my MPG from the GPH on the icom and speed from my GPS. Both are accurate, I know my icom is accurate cause I've run out of gas twice now when calculating my range on 4 MPG, which apparently I wasn't even getting at 40 MPH (this was when my icom was dead).
    Last edited by cdaffin; Jun-24-2013 at 07:36 AM.

Default Re: VHP / 115 E-tec HO owners, I need some numbers.

Cdaffin -
    I don't know what I have that could help you; but I typically look at the GPH instead of the MPG to get a feel for fuel burn rate. I did some quick calcs on the last numbers I ran; 28 30 mph loaded is 3350 - 3650 rpm 5.8 to 5.45 mpg. That is with a Raker 19P cupped. My Viper 18p cupped does 4150 rpm 30 mph 4.5 - 4.6 mpg.

Your numbers do look low in comparison - mine include 2 people @ 430 lbs, ice and at least 20 gals of gas.

These are winter time (cool weather) numbers, burning non ethanol regular unleaded.

I would ask this - what is your WOT RPM with the boat loaded, no chop? Also, how heavy are your two guys?

I could not turn my Raker 20 at 5500 RPMs with my normal "heavy" load.
    2012 VHP ETEC 115 HO and lots of goodies

Redfish

I can't get over 5500 light, the 20 raker is a tad too much prop I think. Heavy load it's probably not turning but 5300- 5400, I'm not 100% sure, I'll run some numbers again this weekend. Holeshot sucks with the raker as well, I'm thinking mine needs to be worked down to 19 and some cup added as well. Two guys are no more than 400lbs, 20 lbs of ice as well.

My numbers now that I see yours and Erik's are not as bad as I thought, I think it's when I have to run with some tab that it destroys it, which unfortunately is all the time up here. Trimming the motor up to counteract helps, but not much.

Shoot me an email or call me and we can chat about this if you have time. Charles - [email protected] or 850-459-0054

Walker, what are your numbers with the 19p raker wot?

Honestly I did not do much testing at WOT with the heavy load - all of my numbers were done going and coming from fishing spots. I do have in my notes that I was running 48 @ 5200 at one point. That is my Raker 20 taken down to 19, cupped, and balanced. I might take it out and play with it some in the next week and get some more numbers. Hole shot is better, and does not require as much tab work to run in the mid range. The key factor
    is that because of the light weight of the boats, load weight has a significant impact on the prop performance, so I would weigh (no pun intended) what others do, and how much weight you are really carrying on average, and work with that.
    2012 VHP ETEC 115 HO and lots of goodies

Thanks, I was just curious what you could spin that 19 Raker up to in terms of WOT. I am taking my prop to get cleaned up and balanced next week.