Thread: testing my new prop and plate

Tarpon

Default testing my new prop and plate

OK, yeah it is Christmas morning and I am like a 5 year old with a new Tonka truck. Got everything situated so I could test my new prop and jackplate.

Conditions:
    Wind: south southwest at 20-25 mph and gusting between 30-35.
    Temp: 75 degrees, humid and overcast
    Water: 6 inch chop in the river and flat in protected canals
    All speeds by GPS.

Installed a new tiny tach also to check the rpm’s to see what is happening.

A little prior history of my boat’s performance with a stock aluminum prop and no jackplate. The stock aluminum prop was a four blade 9 ¼” X 10” .By myself, I could get right 26 mph with the boat trimmed correctly. 2 people and gear in the boat about 23.5 mph.

Running the boat with the new prop the jackplate in its lowest position:
    Running the boat this morning with the wind I was consistently running 29.5-29.7 mph. I could sit down and tuck in and get 30 mph. The pee stream looked good and my engine was running at 6230-6240 rpm. The new prop is a 4 blade powertech same dimensions. The model of it is SWA4R10PYM15. Taking a hard 180 degree turn at full throttle did make the prop break loose a little but it also did this in the stock condition without the new prop or jackplate. I could do a 180 degree turn in a 100 foot radius at full speed without breaking the prop free. Hard 90 degree turns were no problem in terms of breaking the prop free or traction and no slide in the boat. Heading into the wind, I would lose about 1-1.25 mph holding an average speed of about 28.4 mph.

As I said before, my plate has 4 inches of vertical travel and I figured I would only use half of that. So, I tested it mainly there and here are the results. Top speed was averaging about 28.4 mph with the wind and about 27-27.5 into the wind. Rpm’s were about 5800 +/- 20. Hard 90 degree turns at full speed were not problem. The pee stream looked good so I knew I was getting plenty of water. A 180 degree turn with about a 100 foot radius was no problem either.

With the water being choppy and windy, I really did not try for shallow running measurements. I ran over some areas that I have typically bumped in the past and did not even touch. I did not install this to try and run super shallow. My boat in stock condition would run in about a foot of water and I am would prefer it to run in 6-8 inches.

I did try running it all the way jacked up and it seemed like the prop wasn’t grabbing enough. I will experiment later with that.

Power tech 4 blade?

Mullet

Excellent improvement in performance... thanks for sharing.

How do I get a hold of someone from TSG?

Redfish

Capt Benny,
    I will call you today.
    Tom C

Tarpon

I have been out fishing and running a bunch of places. The boat is definitely running shallower. I have still bumped a couple of times in some places. I have not tried to actually see how shallow it is running because of the choppy conditions. I am still learning the how to get up shallow also. The combination of tabs and jackplate takes a little getting used to. So far I am finding that I need the tabs all the way up to get up speed and once that happens I can lower the tabs and raise the plate. One area that I got up in was in about 12-14 inches of water. I will need to make a few small changes to the prop and to give it a little more bite. I have had the prop lose some bite in certain instances. But all I do is back off a hair drop the plate a hair and punch it again and I am back up and moving. I had another guy with me in the boat and we were running between 24.5 and 25.5 mph with both of us weighing 200lbs each. We were running places that I could never run all the way through or over. I definitely had a big smile on my face. The electric version of this plate is so handy and easy to use.

I should have paid more attention to the switch mounting. This was all me screwing this one up. The switch itself would fit the depth of my control box no problem. But I did not figure in the wiring fittings. So I mounted it into the side and put a switch hole cover over the hole I made in the top. I found switch that also was a little shallower in depth than the one I originally used on the top.

Here is a pic

Mullet

looks like some nice improvements. where was the jack plate purchased? i assume it is electric right? does your motor charge your battery? just asking because mine does not.

Thanks for the insight and the previous great pics!

Tarpon

Default jackplate

rjbeavis

What engine do you have? Plus, does the prop have a problem with the tabs down while having the JP up 2 inches?

Thanks

Tarpon

gitrdone,

the plate is a TSG (tom C) electric plate. It doesn't charge from the engine. When I went out running around all day I still did not move it all that much. Total time would probably be equivalent to moving it up and down 2 minutes straight. I'm not real worried about it.

funhog,
    I have a honda 20. With the tabs down and the plate up 2 inches, i have problems getting on plane. This is easily taken care of by bringing the plate down about an inch and raising the tabs. I gun it and feel the prop grabbing, then lower the tabs and raise the engine. Only takes a few seconds and I can get up shallow. When running like that I have no problems unless I make a real sharp turn. My prop right now is stock and I will be working with my prop guy to get the prop to give me a little more bite.

Mullet

Default Re: testing my new prop and plate

RJ, Did you modify your existing ploing platform so you could steer with the Jackplate?

Tarpon

With the lagoon having real low water, I have run in some shallow areas. Today I just wanted to get into a certain area so I could drift out with the wind. I knew the water was getting shallower but the boat was not bumping and neither could I feel the engine bumping. All I was thnking was just to get to where I wanted to go. When I got there and came off plane the back ofthe boat and engine sat rightin the mud. Killed the engine and raised it up. Put the tabs back in the up position to get ready to fish and still didn't move (all the weight was currently in the back of the boat). It looked shallow so I checked the depth with my hand just dunking it straight down in the water til my fingers touched. My wrist did not even get wet. Made a mental note on my hand to measure when I got home. Checked it with the tape measure to be 6.5 -7 inches. I was impressed. Thank you again TomC. And floating out was as easy as just walking to the front of the boat which is where I was fishing from anyways.

I had a question or two about the weight in the back. Yes it adds a little more weight to the back, and the tail might sit a little lower, an inch maybe two. But my engine is now sits 2 higher to take away that effect. Also, in terms of idling, I can raise the motor (6 inches higher than where it would normally sit) all the way and still idle, no problem.

I can't wait til I get my TC JP...