Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Etec owners??

Redfish

Default Etec owners??

Well I thought I was set on the 60etec, but the more I search on the internet the more i'm not so sure!! I have seen a lot of biased reviews... So anyone running a 60 etec, have you had any issues with the motor?? Seems alot of people have had issues with the motors... If I change my mind I will go with a 60 yammi.. The motors seem to be around the same weight and the yammi has a little over 100 more CC... I went out on capt justins lostman with etec 60 and it seemed like a strong motor!!

Default Re: Etec owners??

I know it's apples to oranges but the throttle response on my 150 will rip your arms off.

Tarpon

I have a 60 etec on my Caimen starts first time everytime so far and fast as can be ,so far no prblems.

Friend of mine owns Don's Marine in Bradenton. Known Don for 30 years. Great marine mechanic. Sorry to upset the apple cart here but according to Don if you want trouble buy an etec.

Quote Originally Posted by keeganite View Post
    Friend of mine owns Don's Marine in Bradenton. Known Don for 30 years. Great marine mechanic. Sorry to upset the apple cart here but according to Don if you want trouble buy an etec.
    maybe the first few of them... every manufacturer has had equal initial and continuous use issues... allllll of them.

I think they are all good motors now days. Especially in today's letigous society a manufacturer isn't gonna intentionally put out a piece of crap....

From what I've read BRP recommends using the special type of oil they have made for these motors. Makes sense to do that.

i read the owners manual last night. the only time it specifically says to use evinrude oil is when the motor is programed for the xd-100 oil. the 150 HO cant be programmed for that oil so it then SUGGESTS xd-50, xd-30, or a TC-W3 oil. ill be using penzoil premium synthetic TC-W3.

I've been running a 250 Etec since 2006 with no issues whatsoever!
    The IPB is gone, hoping to move into a Glide!?!?!

My father-in-law has a 90 etec he has had for 5 years or so and they told him to use xd-100 when he original got the motor so that is what he used for five years, then the piston froze in the block and they told him it was because his motor was programed to used xd-50 and he had been using xd-100. The dealership also denied telling him to use the xd-100..he switched to a different dealer after this and when they did the service on his motor they told him he has not had the proper updates to the motor for the last 5 years...got to love that

luck for him they were able to get the piston out without cracking the block

so if they say to use 50 or 100 i would use what they say

Redfish

See their are some bad stories out there in the etecs, but I bet if I was asking the same question about yamaha I would ge the same stories!!

Redfish

I see a ton of E-Tecs running up here in the North, followed by Mercs. Seems after inquiring to both owners of said models they each have their share of pro's & cons'. So it wouldn't limit it to just a Salt environ per say.

I am/was pretty much sold on a 60 Etec for my order, but given Kevins' raves about the 'Zuke 60 i may have to do some more digging or waiting for someone to dump the 70 'Zuke on a HP Caimen or Lostmen.

As an aside Honda Marine is showing a 60, it might be a viable alternative given the fiddy (50) is such a strong performer (??)

Hardin you might need to see if there is any data that shows if the failure rate for an etec 60 is statistically outside of the norm for other motors over a certain time period. Not sure if that data exists but if it does it would give you a better feel for the state of affairs.

the honda is not the fastest horse in the barn but she races every race like it's her last and starts every time. Plus for a 4banger she only weighs 214lbs....can't beat that!

the 50 or the 60? 214# is light.